Every experienced guide conducting a sightseeing excursion of the capital of Azerbaijan begins it with the history of this ancient city: otherwise, the amazing variety of its attractions, so much impressive for tourists, will remain incomprehensible. However, no matter how interesting the past of Baku that comes to life in the stories of the guides, its present is no less attractive: it is a modern dynamic city with many attractions. After an excursion of the narrow streets of Icheri Sheher (Old city) including such important monuments of antiquity as the Maiden tower, the Palace of the Shirvanshahs, the Twin Fortress Gates, the Palace Mosque, the Mosques of Muhammad and Ibrahim be sure to take time to explore the newer sights. They include:
- the Heydar Aliyev Center, a masterpiece of 21st century architecture, created by the famous Zaha Hadid;
- Mosque Tezepir built at the beginning of the 20th century;
- Flame Towers (1001guide suggests that they look most impressive at night);
- Heydar Mosque opened in 2014;
- unique Carpet Museum: its building is as interesting as the exposition;
- botanical garden and zoo.
Without an excursion to Ateshgah, an ancient temple of fire worshipers, and without visiting the Absheron National Park, the impression of Baku will be incomplete.