An ancient fortress and unusual modern temples, museums and parks, an aquarium and a port cruise ships depart from: there is something to interest guests in Helsinki; even a short sightseeing excursion with a personal guide in English usually leaves many wonderful memories. The list of main sights that tourists get to know usually includes the following places:
- Senate Square decorated with several architectural masterpieces: St. Nicholas Cathedral, University, Senate building;
- Suomenlinna fortress (1001guide recommends visiting at least 2-3 museums on its territory);
- rock-cut Temppeliaukio church and Kamppi chapel;
- a monument to the composer Sibelius striking with its unusual appearance;
- Orthodox Assumption Cathedral;
- Seurasaari Island Museum: to fully appreciate its buildings of the 17-19 centuries, it is better to go there with a guide;
- Sea Life oceanarium and zoo.
For over a hundred years, the city was part of the English Empire; it contains many reminders of this historical period - from the monument to Alexander II to the Trinity Church. If history does not interest you too much, Helsinki has plenty of other entertainments - from shopping (however, prices cannot be called low, but the quality of goods justifies them) to excursions in Central Park or the Botanical Garden.