Millions of tourists from all over the world flock to ancient Pompeii every year. An archaeological park is now on the site of the legendary Roman city destroyed by Vesuvius. It is very large (66 ha) and includes about 1500 ancient structures. Explore with a guide so you don't miss anything.
Here is a list of what the open-air museum tour includes:
- Amphitheatre (70 AD) - arena for spectacular performances that gathered 20 thousand people;
- House of Venus with a fresco of the patron goddess of Pompeii;
- The Villa of the Mysteries is one of the largest buildings with 90 rooms and secret rituals depicted on the walls;
- House of the Faun, a private property where the guide will show you the most beautiful mosaics;
- McCallum, a central marketplace with different products on murals;
- Forum, the main square connecting the Basilica, Temple of Jupiter, Granary and McCallum;
- Antiquarium, an exhibition area for archaeological artifacts;
- Garden of Fugitives, plaster casts of the writhing victims of Vesuvius with imprints of horror on their faces.
The distances that you will have to cover during the excursion are quite long. So ensure you have comfortable shoes, packed lunch and drinking water.